Nov 30, 2017 by AirpushMobile advertising can be a bit of a minefield. Getting your ads out there is one thing, but making sure they’re where y...
How to improve brand safety in mobile advertising
Getting your ads out there is one thing, but making sure they’re where you want them to be as well as far away from any inappropriate content can be something entirely different.
Join us as we take a look at both brand safety and brand transparency, as well as what you can do to try and preserve them.
What is transparency?
In terms of mobile advertising, transparency means having full visibility of not only where your ads run, but also where they don’t.
Transparency is incredibly important not only for analytical purposes but also the overall wellbeing of your brand – and your peace of mind.
A few other important things to bear in mind when it comes to transparency:
- Transparency in reporting leads to better campaign optimization. For example, being aware of a user’s network connection, OS, device, and so on can uncover certain segments where performance is higher or lower, thus allowing you to target future advertising campaigns more effectively
- Transparency allows for much more effective testing. Having full visibility into where each ad runs allows for true A/B testing before full budgets can be applied
- Transparency applies to user behavior after seeing an ad. Allowing full use of tags, tracking, URL variables, and more can help you gain a more complete picture of how effective your ad buys are
What is brand safety?
When it comes to mobile advertising, brand safety refers to ensuring that your ads never run near or within inappropriate or highly irrelevant content.
By displaying its ads in the wrong place a brand can seriously tarnish its reputation, for example by having an ad automatically run alongside a news story covering a tragic event, or a during a video promoting a controversial political or cultural view.
Ads being shown in close proximity to irrelevant content can have a similarly negative effect. Relevancy is key to return on investment, and without it your ad network is wasting your ad dollars.
However, there are steps you can take to ensure that your ads never wind up rubbing shoulders with inappropriate content in the first place.
How to improve brand safety
There are a number of things you can do to maintain brand safety in your advertising.
When it comes to ensuring transparency, you need:
- A curated inventory to aid with accuracy
- To accept third-party tags, which helps give you important post-campaign insight into where your ads ran
- Full whitelisting and blacklisting of your mobile app and website inventory, allowing you to clearly define where you want your ads to appear (as well as where you don’t want them under any circumstances)
- Full post-campaign reporting on impressions, viewability, and conversions so you know what worked, what didn’t, and how to plan your next ad campaign
Staying on top of the issue of brand safety itself primarily requires the taking of adequate precautionary measures, such as:
- Proactively eliminating the risk of ads being shown where they shouldn’t, something Airpush does automatically with its proprietary keyword-matching algorithm
- Direct integration with publishers to ensure a more curated, controlled inventory
- Advanced targeting parameters in order to increase brand relevancy with a matched supply
Choosing the right ad network
When choosing an ad network, it’s important to make sure the one you partner with takes transparency and brand safety as seriously as you do.
You should also ensure that your ad network has a large network of first-party publishers in order to allow for greater control of where your ads run – a far better option than using networks that simply act as intermediaries.
Here at Airpush we strongly believe that upholding brand safety and ensuring full transparency are key to creating long-lasting relationships with our advertisers, and are always working on how we can do this even better.